No matter which aspect of the Netherlands first attracted you to this country, you’re sure to find both what you expected and a few pleasant surprises along the way. Windmills and tulips are just the tip of the iceberg - visitors can wander through wonderfully preserved historic cities, see some of the world’s most astounding art, unwind with the nation’s famous cafe culture or forge your own journey by creating an itinerary that mixes and matches the diverse attractions of the Netherlands.
Once you’ve booked a car rental in the Netherlands, you’re well on your way to an amazing holiday. Having your own transport at your disposal grants you a freedom that any amount of public transport simply can’t match. Craft the Netherlands itinerary of your dreams and drive it at your own pace!
AirportRentals.com - smart online booking solutions for Netherlands car hire
After you’ve flown into the country, picking up a Netherlands car rental will be one of the first things on your travel to-do list. Booking ahead of time is essential, and if you’re smart about it the online booking process can be really easy. Instead of searching through all sorts of car rental supplier sites trying to compare the best deal, just head to AirportRentals.com where you’ll see it all without having to switch between sites.
With AirportRentals.com, getting hold of a cheap car rental for your Netherlands trip is a cinch. Enter a couple details about your upcoming trip into the search box to kickstart the process. From there, you’ll be able to be able to browse deals from a variety of different suppliers, and filter them down to find exactly what you’re looking for. Once you’ve discovered a great car rental deal that works for your trip, the actual booking part of the process will be done and dusted in a few minutes.
Airport rentals around the Netherlands
While Amsterdam is the Netherlands’ most famous city, it certainly isn’t the only place you can start your journey here. This is a fairly small nation, so no matter where you start your trip, the whole country is your oyster - and of course the rest of Europe beckons, with Germany, Belgium and France all within reach.
● Amsterdam car rental - Amsterdam is one of those rare cities that honours the past while wholeheartedly embracing the future. Art aficionados will find Amsterdam a paradise, with Van Gogh, Rembrandt and Vermeer pieces on display throughout the city’s museums. However, you don’t have to be a culture vulture to appreciate the sense of homely cosiness that Amsterdam’s cafes offer.
● Eindhoven car rental - Events and festivals are going on in the lively city of Eindhoven all the time, so it’s worth doing a little bit of research around the times that you’ll be visiting just to make sure you get the most out of this place. Glow Eindhoven is one of the annual highlights: the city centre is transformed by installations, events and performances all celebrating artificial light - this is a truly spectacular time.
● Rotterdam car rental - Rotterdam is a city on the cutting edge - an exciting place perfect for those who are keen to seize all the opportunities that the modern world offers. The nightlife here is top notch, there are all kinds of places to see modern art and architecture, and the city’s multiethnic makeup enriches a place already bursting with life.
● Maastricht car rental - Arguably the oldest city in the Netherlands, Maastricht has been inhabited since pre-Roman times and you can still see evidence of this today. This doesn’t mean it’s a stuffy place though - this is a university town, buzzing with energy and full of exciting things to see and do.
Car rental suppliers in the Netherlands
You’ll find yourself spoiled for choice when it comes to rental suppliers in the Netherlands. If you’re looking for known and trusted brands, some of the biggest names in car rental offer vehicles here. Avis, Budget, Alamo, Europcar and Hertz are just a few of the famous brands on offer when you search and book with AirportRentals.com. There are also quite a few less well known brands which shouldn’t be ignored - they can sometimes offer travellers unparalleled bargains.
Netherlands road rules
The Dutch drive on the right hand side of the road - no surprise for anyone who has visited mainland Europe. If you’re accustomed to driving on the left, take care when turning at intersections - this is where the difference will be most pronounced. If you don’t have an EU driver’s licence, you’ll need to get hold of an international driver’s licence for your time in the Netherlands. 0.05% is the legal blood alcohol limit, which means that even one drink has the potential to put you over the limit - if you’re indulging in a drink or two, make sure someone else has driving duties covered. The default speed limits in the Netherlands are 50 km/h in built up areas, 80 km/h on the open road, 100 km/h on expressways and 130 km/h on motorways. These defaults give way to speed limit signs, so always keep your eye out for signs so you know what the current limit is.
Netherlands driving tips
● If the straight motorways and open roads have you tempted to speed, you better think twice - hidden speed cameras are common and you could find yourself landed with a hefty fine.
● In the cities, you’re likely to encounter a lot of cyclists on the road - always stay aware of your surroundings and don’t forget to check your blind spots before maneuvering.
● Go easy on the horn - use of the horn is not permitted at night, and even during the day it is restricted to when it’s absolutely necessary. There are heavy fines associated with this.